For the past couple weeks I’ve been obsessed with making an actual model of the 64 tetrahedron grid. I studied the videos but it wasn’t enough. I still couldn’t really visualize how it really all went together. I wanted something physical to touch, to hold, and to gaze at from different angles. So I made 8 star tetrahedrons from construction paper, carefully using contrasting colors for each star-tet so when I assembled it, I would be able to see more clearly what was touching what.
But when I got to the assembly step, I hit a road block. I couldn’t figure out how to hold the 8 start-tet’s together. I didn’t want to glue them because I wanted to be able to take it back apart if needed. Plus I wanted to be able to open it up and study the inner enclosed spaces. I tried several things, including double sticky tape and blu tack, but my model kept falling apart. I couldn’t get more than 3 stars together.
So finally I gave up the idea that it should look pretty when completed and decided to use whatever amount of masking tape necessary to get the job done. That worked. I put together the top 4 star-tets as one structure and the bottom 4 as another. I rested to bottom in an empty canister (since it can’t sit on it’s single bottom point), and gently lowered the top structure into place.
Ugly as it is, I am thrilled. I can take the top off and look inside. I can look and touch and see exactly which tiny tetrahedrons touch other tetrahedrons and where. I can analyze perfectly the faces, edges and vertices of each tetrahedron, seeing which edges are shared, which vertices, which direction, etc. The beauty and symmetry is mind boggling. I spent nearly the whole day yesterday happily playing with my creation.
And this morning as I was cleaning up my project space, I got the biggest laugh of all… my final masking tape magic was actually Corona!!