Science of Mind

Science of Mind is a spiritual/science Magazine of New Thought inspired by author Ernest Holmes and cutting edge thinkers. A great place for New Thought science thinking spiritual folks to comment on The Resonance Course. Today’s quote from Magazine is: “There is One Infinite Mind from which all things come…Talk, Live, act, believe, and know that you are in a center in this One”
Join in and share inspirational insightful words of wisdom. today I tune into my own center point knowing that all power of the universe lies within.

9 Likes

thank you for your suggestion

“Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” Ralph Emerson

6 Likes

… there… see… lots of questions pertaining to sciences of Mind/Spirituality. :slight_smile:

… so i’ve created my (yet another maybe) Introduction topic towards it:
see where the trail takes you. or not. your choice, your responsibility.

cheers jeffree

May 3rd “The Divine Ideas stand back of all human thought, seeking admittance through the doorway of the mind”

1 Like

Science of Mind teaches that the Kingdom of Heaven is unformed, unlimited, unconditional. We do not have to do the building of the mansion, for It already exists. We do not build worth, worth already exists. We do not build unconditional love it is all around and within us. We simply accept the key to the Kingdom and enter at will. As a practice every time you pass through a door way think to your self I am entering Heaven! May 7th

“As I recognize spirit breathing Itself as me, I recognize that my life is Spirit expressing, incarnating, living this experience that I call my life.”

Everything I have ever thought, said or done that in anyway is in discord with divine love is worthy of Forgiveness. For you/I/we are loved by source that is love. Jeffree Colebrook

Love points the way and Law makes the way possible.

1 Like

“Creation and experience are eternally going on, but any particular experience is measured by time and has a beginning and an end” EH

Spirituality, wellness and Networks in Your Brain

By Mark Waldman Science of Mind Magazine

Throughout high school and college — indeed, for half of my life — I found myself consumed by existential questions: Who am I? What is the purpose of my life? What should I be doing, and what do I really want to do? And then there was a more practical concern: Why do I feel so anxious in social situations? I didn’t know many people secretly wrestled with similar questions, so I assumed there was something wrong with me. I read self-help books, attended lectures by gurus and shamans, and sampled endless workshops and experimental therapies. They all offered different recipes for happiness, success and bliss but none of them seemed to touch home. Who should I believe and what should I believe? It never occurred to me to trust my own intuition and creativity. One day, when I was 30 years old, I had a spontaneous mystical experience where all my notions about religion and psychology instantly fell away, and all that remained was the present moment: no worries or beliefs or heaven or hell or god — just a blissful experience of connectedness and peace. “Oh,” I said to myself, “this is what all those Eastern spiritual texts were talking about!” It lasted no longer than a minute or two, but it permanently changed the direction of my life. Worry turned into curiosity, curiosity turned into passion, and that passion drove me to read hundreds of books about turning spiritual practices into psychotherapeutic tools. I became a seeker of truth, and neuroscience became my guide, working with Andy Newberg as we peered into the brains of nuns, Buddhists, Sufis, shamans, atheists and Pentecostals speaking in tongues. For the past decade, Dr. Newberg and I have shared with you, in this magazine, our neurological secrets of happiness and success, and how spiritual practices can improve neurological functioning. In the process, we have challenged many beliefs people have about human consciousness, reality and the brain. But neuroscience — like spiritual development — is a constantly evolving process. Recently a new “language” has emerged called Brain Network Theory. It uses new brain-scan technology to map out the ways in which different areas interact with others. For example, in the image to the right, the fibers are the neuronal axons connecting to different structures, and each color represents a different brain function (the yellow areas control our imagination and creativity, which, in this picture, are highly active).

Brain Network Theory makes it easier to explain how the brain works and how we can manipulate different structures and functions with our thoughts, behaviors and beliefs. We can see where our worries and fears occur and how they interfere with our ability to achieve desired goals. The scan also provides new evidence showing why contemplative forms of meditation improve the overall functioning of our brain. Indeed, awareness is the new secret to happiness and success because it stimulates specific structures that help balance and integrate many key networks in the brain essential for maintaining optimal psychological health.

This research identified more than 200 brain networks, including the Default Mode, Executive and Salience Networks. Let me summarize and walk you through the ones most easily influenced by contemplative spiritual practices, along with some surprising discoveries challenging many beliefs about the nature of human consciousness. For example, we now know that our brain is primarily governed by emotional experiences, especially those identified by the brilliant neuroscientist Jaak Panksepp, famous for discovering that mice laugh when tickled. Those emotions are fear, rage, lust, grief, caring and two other important emotions overlooked by psychologists: playfulness and our innate curiosity to seek out new and potentially rewarding experiences. These instinctual emotions — if they are strong enough — will stimulate the Motivation Network (largely controlled by the nucleus accumbens) to release the neurochemical dopamine, which stimulates the rest of your brain to take action, either to get away from painful experiences or to seek out pleasurable experiences and potentially rewarding goals. Like an impulsive child or an addicted adult, it seeks immediate gratification. As the dopamine moves into the upper regions of your cerebral cortex, it stimulates the Executive Network (sometimes called the frontoparietal attention network), making you more conscious of the emotional experience you just had. Your dorsolateral prefrontal cortex — a small area just above and behind your eyes — begins to pull up memories to help you think about different strategies to achieve more pleasure and to figure out how to overcome obstacles that stand in the way of your goal and anticipated reward.

Your Thinking Network, as I prefer to call it, helps you develop the discipline and skills to slowly satisfy those instinctual emotional desires while avoiding the pitfalls of impulsivity. And it is your Thinking Network that is responsible for creating your beliefs — positive and negative — about yourself, other people and reality. These beliefs, if they feel valuable, make up the foundation of your personal religion. They become anchored in your unconscious habits and behavior. The rest of your brain doesn’t care if they are true or false; it’s concerned only with the usefulness of those beliefs, and they constitute most of the memory networks found in other areas of the brain. But what happens when your Thinking Network hits an obstacle that it hasn’t previously encountered? If a solution can’t be found in the millions of stored memories and behaviors, your consciousness briefly shuts down, and another unique network turns on, one that has been there since the time you were born. We called it the “resting state” because that’s what we asked our meditation subjects to do so that we could get a baseline scan before they actively engaged in their spiritual practice.

Surprisingly, when you turn your attention away from a specific task and do nothing, a large part of your upper brain becomes highly active (the bright yellow areas in the photo on this page). One researcher labeled it the Default Mode Network, but Martin Seligman, pioneer of positive psychology, calls it the Imagination Network because that’s what is going on when you are resting or

trying to solve a difficult problem: All kinds of partial thoughts and feelings — positive and negative — are jumbling around in an effort to predict a future outcome, and the process is going on 10 to 30 times faster than your Thinking Network can consciously focus on. Young children have an active Imagination Network filled with heroes and villains, nightmares and blissful fantasies, Einsteins and Frankensteins, but they have a weak Thinking Network to help them turn their daydreams into reality — a process that takes decades to develop. Adults have the same Imagination Network as children. It appears to be the largest network in the brain, but we are largely unaware that one half is constantly predicting negative outcomes while the other half is simultaneously generating positive ones. Essentially, we all have an optimist and a pessimist in our brain to help us make wise decisions and avoid poor ones. However, if we lose ourselves in that endless uncertainty of “maybe or maybe not,” that is the clinical definition of anxiety and procrastination. Stay there long enough and you’ll cripple the functioning of the other networks in your brain, eventually leading to mental fatigue and depression. But if you remind yourself that your worries and doubts are purely imaginary, you will more easily watch that part of your brain, which is putting together creative ways to solve your problems. Your Imagination Network is the best place to turn when you’re stuck, but how do you access this largely unconscious process? One clue lies in this important discovery: When your Thinking Network turns on, your Imagination Network turns off, and you can train yourself to consciously shift back and forth. Ideally, your brain needs to spend 50% of the time in that daydream/mind-wandering state and 50% of the time attentively focusing on carrying out tasks that help you reach your goals. But if you spend too much time thinking, you’ll use up the neurochemicals needed to concentrate. That’s called burnout, and it can take months or years to recover from.

There’s a simple solution, and it involves what researchers call the Salience Network, containing the insula and anterior cingulate — key structures that help integrate perceptions, emotions and interpersonal experiences. It plays a crucial role in maintaining the optimal balance between your Thinking, Imagination, Motivation and Emotional Networks. The Salience Network generates empathy, kindness, forgiveness and self-love. It is also the last area to develop, coming fully online in the third and fourth decade of life. When the Salience Network functions poorly, life loses meaning, purpose and value. But here’s the great news: Mindfulness meditation stimulates the Salience Network and slows down the worry/distraction processes in the Imagination Network, allowing you to easily focus your attention on what is important. Our neuroscience research shows that when you consciously enter a state of “Relaxed Mindful Awareness,” you can directly ask your intuition (the von Economo neurons that allow you to access your inner wisdom or higher self) for insights and creative solutions to any problem. When you do so, for just a few moments once or twice an hour during the day, you are balancing and integrating your Thinking, Imagination, Motivation, Emotion and Salience Networks. These are the “TIMES” in your brain you can influence with contemplative meditation or prayer. Practice shifting between these networks — with awareness — because it might propel you more quickly down that long mysterious path toward enlightenment. z

WOW pretty interesting, How cool was that with the end coming back to intuition the bold and italic is mine added.

It’s a great magazine I recommend it as superior tool for lovevolution. Rev. Jeffree

Science of Mind is cool this page 20 this month

2 Likes

G’day jefree, what a brilliant article , so informative and so believable ,it just makes sense , enjoyed it greatly, I especially liked the sentence where you said " when your THINKING network turns on ,your IMAGINATION network turns off " so true ! That effect I believe could be what spiritual teachers have referred to as the VEIL between god and man , with thinking being man (ego) and imagination being god (the language of god being imagination)… testla used his imagination to create all of his inventions , imagination is everything ! Thankyou great article …georgie

1 Like

We shall see in everyone a budding genius, a becoming God,
an unfolding soul, an eternal destiny.
— Ernest Holmes, “The Science of Mind,” page 387
Albert Einstein said, “Everybody is a genius, but if you
judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its
whole life thinking it is stupid.” It is amazing that no one
can be you as well as you can. As we do not dispute the Bible’s
assertion that humans are made in the image and likeness of
God, so should we not protest the assertion that humans are
geniuses. Did Jesus exaggerate in saying, “The kingdom of
God is within you”? Did he not lay bare before us the cosmic
cupboard of genius, of immeasurable intelligence, love and
power? That is the sacred presence.
As the dim light of everyday consciousness becomes our ordinary way of seeing, we may have little reason to believe there
is a bright midday radiance yet to be revealed. This will give rise
to a tendency to believe the cosmic thinker cannot think more
ingeniously through us. Today we can change the ordinary we
exude by embodying more of the extraordinary genius we are.
From Science of Mind Magazine *****

1 Like

Science is knowing the way something works. Panpsychism
is a maverick idea proposing the universe could be capable
of consciousness. This resonates with the claim of mystics
throughout the ages. Physicist John Wheeler said, “We are
the universe becoming conscious of itself.” While science
maintained its focus on the objective world, 20th century
philosopher Alfred North Whitehead proposed the radical
notion that everything material, however small, has an element
of consciousness. This has led to process philosophy and process
theology, the new maverick frontier about God, the world and
reality.
Scientist Gregory Matloff proposes a conscious universe and
a “proto-consciousness field” extending throughout all space.
Thus, the cosmos could be self-aware. Christof Koch of the Allen
Institute for Brain Science supports this notion. He says, “Biological organisms are conscious because when they approach a
new situation, they are able to change their behavior in order to
thwart a bad situation.” Our universe is alive and conscious.
From Science of Mind Magazine recommended

Reality [is] a process of becoming, and perishing, with new
“becomings” building on that which has perished.
— David Miller
Creation and experience are eternally going on, but any particular experience is measured by time and has a beginning
and an end.
— Ernest Holmes, “Living the Science of Mind,” page 67

We all look forward to the day when science and religion
shall walk hand in hand through the visible to the invisible.
— Ernest Holmes, “The Science of Mind,” page 25

Ernest Holmes dreamed of a time when science and religion
would walk hand in hand. It has. However, this search
guarantees no comfort of precisely fitting our assumed
cosmology.
Process theology is different in many important ways to the
Plato/Aristotle-influenced classical theism accepted for centuries.
Process is a theology that grew out of a contemporary science
(namely quantum physics) and philosophy, rather than out
of the scriptures. Intriguingly, this process concept of God fits
more closely the qualities of God rendered in the Judaic/Christian Bibles than it does in the classical theism of Greek philosophy with its notion of Mind/God as a static actuality, immutable,
perfect and unfeeling.
Process thought affirms that process is fundamental, which
does not mean everything is in process. That would imply even
process is subject to change. It teaches that there are unchanging
principles and abstract forms. However, to be actual is to be a
process. Thus, anything that is not a process is an abstraction
from process and not a full-fledged actuality.
Process philosophers Alfred North Whitehead and Charles
Hartshorne are the maverick thinkers who have incorporated
into our concepts of the insights of quantum physics. To
be human is to wonder
Arthur W Chang .
I Love the Science of Mind Magazine ***** Jeffree of lovevolution is the solution

How you vibrate is what the Universe echoes back to you in every moment.— Panache
Science tells us that all form comes from One Substance, made manifest through vibration. This further helps us to see the relationship of the Word to the formless and teaches us the indestructibility and eternality of energy and cosmic stuff. — “The Science of Mind,” page 311
great book for the lovevolution
The Law of Vibration might not be as well known as the Law of Attraction. However, the Law of Vibration serves as the foundation for the Law of Attraction. It helps to remember that everything is energy. Science, through quantum physics, continues to show us this.When we go down to a subatomic level, we don ́t find matter, but pure energy. Physicist John Hagelin calls this the unified field or the matrix. Others talk about “pure potentiality.”The Law of Vibration states that everything in the universe moves and vibrates — everything is vibrating at one speed or another — nothing rests. Everything you see around you is vibrating at one frequency or another, and so are you. However, your frequency is different from other things in the universe and that ́s why it seems like you are separated from what you see around you: people, animals, plants, trees and so on.In truth you are not separated — you are, in fact, living in an ocean of energy, as we all are. We are all connected at the lowest level, also known as the unified field.Everything has its own vibrational frequency: the table, the car, the picture frame, the rock, even our thoughts and feelings. It is all governed by the Law of Vibration.Source: One-Mind-One-Energy.com/Law-of-Vibration

Regarding the actual big-bang theory, Hicks as Abraham has said, “Your planet didn’t come together in one big bang.It’s been consciousness coming into being. … It is a series ofnever-ending, eternal bangs.”

Come stop by lovevolution is the solution as well and say hi

In one powerful moment, I was overcome with a sense of joy and gratitude and wonder at the abundance of goodness in my life. It literally took my breath away.I call these moments of grace. We do nothing to earn them. They appear like manna from heaven, gifts that reveal the incredible beauty of Spirit hidden behind the mundane bits and pieces of our daily lives. My reaction is to stand straighter, feel lighter and see with different eyes. It’s as if the wholeness of God has just tapped me lightly on the shoulder and said, “Hello.”When these moments of grace come upon you, I hope you recognize them and stop to enjoy them. I often think that mo-ments of grace are the closest I may come to being a true mystic. And you know what? They are enough.
lovevolution is the solution Jeffree